• Create your own happiness.

    Three New Mini Orchids


    Recently, I have added three
    new miniature orchids to my collection, a white, a green and a deep purple!  However, they all some interesting little stories....

    Well, the first story is actually nice.  This beaut is a just because gift from my boyfriend :) Yay, first white orchid...plus its got five buds developing, bonus!



     My first green orchid (I have been wanting it for a while) is not really that mini, its actually a medium-sized orchid, ten inches, and I bought it from Chinatown!  The flowers did not look too nice, the petal rims were kinda brown, and I noticed some brown spots on the leaves (that luckily was just dirt that I cleaned off!).  But the pot was cute and came with a tray, and did I mention it was green and middle sized?
      In the first week, two of the blooms fell off and I was regretting my purchase, but then I noticed something amazing, a whole new stem was growing!  And more buds were growing on the existing stem!  And the roots were growing too!  I guess bringing it home was all it needed, because now I have some new flowers on the way! (UPDATE: I broke off the new spike by mistake! The horror!)



    Lastly is my purple mini.  I bought this one on impulse when I was with a friend.  I always wanted  a very dark looking orchid because I think they look cool.  This one also had cute white fringes at the edges.  Anyway, I brought it home and the first two flowers died.  I think it is also genetically weird because the blooms never fully opened - they stay like the one below!  Also, those buds have been growing for a while now, and none of them have started to open!  Don't know what's up, but I am a little disappointed with this one.


    And that is it!  I have not added any large orchids to my collection in a while...hope it stays that way!  I am definitely running out of room ;)

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment

     

    Blogger news

    About

    A photoblog of my favourite hobbies: collecting orchids, traveling, and eating. Just a tidbit of what makes me happy :)

    Blogroll