• Create your own happiness.

    Growth-a-palooza!



    I have been reading about seasons and how they correlate with orchid growth.  Generally, spring and summer are the typical blooming seasons, though some orchids are winter bloomers. Fall and winter is slow growth season, when once blooms have fallen off, the orchids focus on growth of roots, leaves, new stems, and whatever they choose to become stronger plants.

    And well, this fall season has not disappointed.  My orchids are growing like crazy!!!  While it may not be as exciting as flowers, I have tons of new roots, new and side spikes growing, and leaves from pretty much all my orchids!  I am excited, because this means blooms in time for spring!  It's gonna be a long wait though - I read that growth in the colder months is very, very, very slow.

    *** Also, I read a good tip somewhere to buy a blooming orchid every month since they generally re-bloom at the same time every year, that way you have a full calendar of flowers.

    Here are some pictures of my growing orchids:

    All the bright green nubs you see are new, expanding roots.  The one on the long root at the top is the most noticeable, but at the base of the plant, there are 4 nubs aka baby roots growing too!  There are even more on the other side of the pot.


    This plant has three new side shoots. THREE!  Two on one spike too!

    Pretty new shiny leaves :)

    It may be hard to tell, but this orchid is growing side stems on all three of its existing spikes! one of them even has two side shoots growing, for a total of 4 side spikes on one plant!

    I haven't seen any spike growth on the orchids that I removed the entire spike...hopefully, something starts growing soon, and that the blooms are even more beautiful than they would have been growing from a node.  I may start the cold weather treatment soon.  That is when your orchid is exposed to nights of around 5 degrees Celsius for about two weeks, and the cold weather hopefully induces the orchid to start growing a spike for the summer time.  I'll let you know if I try it, and most importantly, if it works!

    Take care!

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment

     

    Blogger news

    About

    A photoblog of my favourite hobbies: collecting orchids, traveling, and eating. Just a tidbit of what makes me happy :)

    Blogroll